I was hired at Third Kind Games to own the netcode for a new internal project, an Unreal game built with GAS. Unfortunately this was cancelled during the pre-production stage but during my time I achieved:
- Identified and built a custom Ability System which was heavily inspired by GAS and built on top of the Network Prediction plugin by Unreal. This plugin gives a few essential features such as buffering and fixed ticking which would allow us to create a better networked game experience and would not be possible with Unreal’s standard networking features.
- Lag compensation work on existing weapon systems for more accurate hit registration
- Refactoring old systems to allow for predicted logic
- Set up Gamelift for server deployment and matchmaking
- Mentoring other programmers as most of the team were new to the engine and ensuring correct network patterns were used. This included correct usage of GAS